Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: static ip

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

static ip

Hello Ever since the last update of 22.04 something changed in the way they are using ip's. The ip i used for a very long time no longer worked. So I decided to update to 24.04 hoping the fix was in there ...... well no its not Works out of box just dont set static ip you will lose internet everytime. The static ip works just no internet... which in turn makes this server useless to me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: static ip

Which distro package? The ISO filename would be helpful to see if others have the same experience.

Sometimes, multiple, unrelated, issues happen at the same time. It is rare, but it does happen.

Of course, trying a different cable and using a different port on the switch/router.

Beans
    Distro

ubuntu server 24.04, ubuntu-24.04-live-server-amd64.iso

But it started with the last update to 22.04 ubuntu server.

I guess it was about two weeks ago. It all works but internet.

I also noticed in 24.04 cant use a renderer neither networkd or NetworkManager . I tried both it wont even give a good addy. I have to log directly into server take either of them totally out

Thats new to me anyway
    Last edited by greg612; 1 Week Ago at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking at my 22.04 systems (none are production),

at a VPS, I have this configuration:
    Code:
    $ sudo more /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml 
    network:
        version: 2
        ethernets:
            enp1s0:
                dhcp4: true
                match:
                    macaddress: 56:00:04:7c:06:94
                set-name: enp1s0

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Release:        22.04
    Codename:       jammy
    And for a VM that I've been playing around with:
    Code:
    $ more /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml 
    # This is the network config written by 'subiquity'
    network:
      ethernets:
        enp1s0:
          addresses:
          - 172.22.22.70/24
          gateway4: 172.22.22.1
          nameservers:
            addresses:
            search:
            - example.foo
            - example.com

$ lsb_release -a
    Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Release:        22.04
    Codename:       jammy
    Not seeing any issues with either for LAN or internet connectivity. Perhaps this weekend I'll try a play 24.04 install. All my systems use Intel NICs, but both of the 22.04 systems are virtual machines. I don't have any physical installs with any release except 20.04.6. Stability matters most to me, so I'm slow to upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Backup please.

What do you think changed with networking and what diagnostics did you do?

It doesn't sound like you did enough in your diagnostics... Like checking to see if you had DNS Resolv(?)

Do this please and post the (replicated) results
    Code:
    ping -c 4 google.com
    ping -c 4 8.8.8.8
    sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved --no-pager
    You think you might have done that before deciding it was something that 'changed' in how networking worked, and it required you to upgrade the release?

Not saying that upgrading Server Edition releases is a bad idea. Server Edition 24.04 LTS has some great improvements and features... But if it were me, I would research what is happening first, before such a big leap.

Being I'm on the Server Team, and trying to support Server Edition and Virtualization issues here. I sort of have a vested interest in what is going on.

22.04.4 is stable. I like 24.04, but I personally don't feel a Server Edition LTS release is "production class" (certified) Stable until the first point release, which usually occurs in August of the release year. I usually upgrade my own 'favored' machines, at least until after a few weeks after the release, when things settle in the Repo's.

I think TheFu has some thoughts on that with his 'own'.

Maybe that's just me.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I patched this morning, I did see cloud-init was updated. Since I don't use that package for anything, wish it would just go away, I'm definitely not impacted.

I don't use systemd-resolved ... after having an issue with it when it was first introduced. I point my resolv.conf to my LAN DNS servers, so having a local caching DNS is pretty useless to me. People with laptops or not on a well-managed network would probably be happier using systemd-resolved and fixing that issue, if it was the root cause of the "networking" problems described.

I don't move to new server releases until my current releases have less than 6 months remaining for support OR there is a compelling reason to migrated. That usually doesn't happen, though I do play with newer releases, just outside any production needs. For play stuff, new can be fun. I've already pulled 3 variants of 24.04 down to play with at my LUG meeting tomorrow. The first systems that might get 24.04 around here will be bog-standard servers that don't have any external, funny, dependencies. So, stuff like an email gateway or a VPN server. Those use only Canonical repos. There are external system dependencies, so finding those sooner than later isn't bad. I've been tripped by my backup tool version being incompatible between two different LTS releases. That forced some solutions to be considered and I tried a few options. After a bit, the newer backup software version was back-ported to the older release. A few years later, I migrated the backups to a different, newer, server with a newer OS and created a container with the older backup software version for the few older systems that still needed that older backup software.

Migrating to a new release hoping it will fix existing issues is seldom a good idea. The issues with the old version generally are brought forward.

Anyway, new releases always bring incompatible dependencies. If not on the system, with external dependent systems.

Beans
    Distro

network:
    ethernets:
    eno1:
    dhcp4: no
    dhcp6: no
    addresses: [192.168.25.3/24]
    routes:
    - to: default
    via: 192.168.25.1
    nameservers:
    addresses: [ "9.9.9.9", "149.112.112.112" ]

This is what I have used for a long time. worked fine till update on 22.04 just before new release.

When I lost all internet I thought the fix was in 24.04 My Bad on that.

And yes i usually wait a month or so before major upgrade.

everything works now except internet

ames@mustang:/$ ping 8.8.8.8
    PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^Z
    [1]+ Stopped ping 8.8.8.8 ( I stopped this took forever)
    james@mustang:/$ ping google.com
    ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

thats what i get since 22.04 update

Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
    Release: 24.04
    Codename: noble
    Last edited by greg612; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    network:
        ethernets:
            eno1:
              dhcp4: no
              dhcp6: no
              addresses: [192.168.25.3/24]
              routes:
                  - to: default
                    via: 192.168.25.1
              nameservers:
                    addresses: [ "9.9.9.9", "149.112.112.112" ]
    Nmap scan report for _gateway (192.168.25.1)
    Host is up (0.0015s latency).
    Nmap scan report for 192.168.25.3
    Host is up (0.00069s latency).
    Last edited by greg612; 1 Week Ago at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you don't use forum code tags, the indentation is lost. YOU MUST EDIT the posts and wrap terminal output (and commands) in code-tags for anyone to be able to know anything about your netplan.yaml file. It is best to use them for all terminal output so it is clear, but things where whitespace is critical make it mandatory.
    Forum code tags: Https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#code But it is really easy. Use like quote/bold/underline/italics, just with 'code'. The advanced editor has a '#' button to make it easier. I use quote tags, then just replace the 2 places that have "QUOTE" with "code". Easy.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-04-26 16:40:06 CDT; 22h ago
           Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8)
                 man:org.freedesktop.resolve1(5)
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-network-configuration-managers
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-resolver-clients
       Main PID: 810 (systemd-resolve)
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 38294)
         Memory: 7.8M (peak: 8.3M)
            CPU: 5.801s
         CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-resolved.service
                 └─810 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-resolved

Apr 27 15:05:49 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set UDP instead of TCP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.
    Apr 27 15:05:54 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set TCP instead of UDP for DNS server 9.9.9.9.
    Apr 27 15:06:04 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set TCP instead of UDP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.
    Apr 27 15:06:14 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set UDP instead of TCP for DNS server 9.9.9.9.
    Apr 27 15:06:19 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set UDP instead of TCP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.
    Apr 27 15:06:24 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set TCP instead of UDP for DNS server 9.9.9.9.
    Apr 27 15:06:34 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set TCP instead of UDP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.
    Apr 27 15:06:54 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set UDP instead of TCP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.
    Apr 27 15:06:59 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set UDP instead of TCP for DNS server 9.9.9.9.
    Apr 27 15:07:04 mustang systemd-resolved[810]: Using degraded feature set TCP instead of UDP for DNS server 149.112.112.112.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast