Thread: Change CPU frequency in Linux

Beans

Change CPU frequency in Linux

I have another PC and I want to install Linux on it but I don't know if Linux can change the CPU frequency so I'm asking for guidance.Can you change the CPU frequency in Linux Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Change CPU frequency in Linux

Support, not chat. Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Lightbulb Set CPU frequency 'governor' (for Linux DAW, powersave, etc)

I think there's a freelance tool called "indicator-cpufreq" which runs in the systray or whatnot. you can set the 'cpu governor' with that. I used to use that on Xubuntu and Ubuntu Studio.
    It's for XFCE I think. There's some other ones similar to that. And you might be able to do it manually with a script too. If you run into blockages, check with the forums about hardware specifics. Some computers have a different interface than others about setting 'cpu power' levels or something like that. I've hand both kinds of systems years ago, so I kinda remember.

It's also useful to have a manual switch so you can go into super low power mode and save battery time. I did that once and my computer said that the battery would last 24 hours!!!!
    I was so pumped about that. Good luck.

I just found this Python appScript(s): https://github.com/xuancong84/indica...eq/tree/master

But I really don't know how to install that. Git stuff confuses me, sorry.
    Last edited by 909mjolnir; 1 Week Ago at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Change CPU frequency in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by wollyvio View Post
    I have another PC and I want to install Linux on it but I don't know if Linux can change the CPU frequency so I'm asking for guidance.Can you change the CPU frequency in Linux Ubuntu?
    You can change the CPU frequency in the BIOS settings.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/