Thread: VirtualBox disappears going from 17.10 to 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

VirtualBox disappears going from 17.10 to 18.04

I had VirtualBox 5.2 installed on Ubuntu 17.10 (AMD 64 bit desktop). I just upgraded from 17.10 to Ubuntu 18.04 and I don't see VirtualBox on my desktop or in the applications. I still have my VirtualBox VMs folder with my vboxusers folder, and my usr/lib/virtualbox folder. Do I have to start over with a VirtualBox install? It took me days to get my legal copy of Windows XP running in VirtualBox. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Beans

Re: VirtualBox disappears going from 17.10 to 18.04

VB is not a Ubuntu package so was removed when you upgraded. You have to reinstall it. The VM folder (anything in your home) is a part of your data, therefore was kept.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ah, thank you. It looks like a reset to the beginning. Sigh.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by anoldguy View Post
    Ah, thank you. It looks like a reset to the beginning. Sigh.
    No, not a reset to the begining; if you kept all the configs for VBox in your home along with the VMs themselves it should all be found and run just as it did previously.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    No, not a reset to the begining; if you kept all the configs for VBox in your home along with the VMs themselves it should all be found and run just as it did previously.
    I thought it would work too, but I have tried before, didn't work. Reinstall VB and it couldn't find the VM. So I have instead made a snapshot. You can then make a new VM from the snapshot (instead of an iso) if you move your installation or try to run the VM on a different host. That way you keep everything.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 18th, 2018 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

Have you tried using Machine > Add and pointing to the relevant .vbox files? I've usually been able to reconstruct my menu of VMs this way.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Have you tried using Machine > Add and pointing to the relevant .vbox files? I've usually been able to reconstruct my menu of VMs this way.
    That's a good point.

I have also found that a clone of the problem VM will sometimes start when the original will not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Success! I did an apt install of virtualbox and the extensions. I started VirtualBox and it had my Windows XP virtual machine. I started Win XP and it seems to run well. Thank you to those who replied!

Note: this was an upgrade in place from Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.04 on the same AMD computer. I am relieved that I don't have to jump through the Microsoft hoops again. The only reason I have Windows XP around is to run Pacific Data's Cyberview X to use my PF 3650 slide scanner. No driver for Linux, Win 7, or Win 10. I have hundreds of slides to scan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Make sure to keep a good working snapshot of WinXP in case it should become corrupt and even though XP is no longer supported you ought to be able to keep it going well enough.